I found this in the bulletin of my parents' church and thought it was good. Based on Dr. James Dobson's answers to the question "how do you make decisions that are in line with God's will?".
1. A search for God's will should begin on your knees. He will meet you there.
2. Examine the scriptures for principles that relate to the issues at hand. The Lord will never ask you to do anything morally wrong or in contradiction to His word.
3. Seek advice from those who are spiritually mature and solid in their faith. A godly counselor or pastor can assist you in avoiding the common mistakes that confuse many people.
4. Pay close attention to what is known as "providential circumstance." When you begin to be blocked on all sides in a particular pursuit, you might consider the possibility that God has other plans for you. Don't give up at the first sign of obstacles, but be attentive to what God is already doing around you.
5. Do nothing impulsively. Give God an opportunity to speak while you concentrate on the first four approaches.
In addition to these five steps to determine God's specific will, you can know His general will for each of us. The Scriptures give all believers the same assignment, and we find it in the words of Jesus, who said, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation" (Mark 16:15). So in whatever you do, whether you are a dentist, a truck driver, an artist, or a homemaker, you have the privilege of using that position as a springboard to witness for the Savior.